This week our editorial team was fortunate enough to get to interview the hosts of the Travel Babies Podcast, Jacqueline and Juliana. We asked them a wide array of questions about their travels, from tips to favorite destinations and cuisines. Here’s the full interview. Enjoy!
- First, tell us a little about yourself and Travel Babies.
My sister Juliana and I have been thinking about doing a podcast for a while, and when we found ourselves dreaming about travel after the pandemic we figured that a lot of other people were doing the same thing. So we decided to share our tips and tricks for traveling to help people prepare for all those post-pandemic getaways via our Travel Babies Podcast.
- How long have the two of you been avid travelers for and what inspired you both to provide travel content for a living?
Both of us have been avid travelers our whole lives, and I decided to pursue it as a career over 5 years ago when I launched my blog JQLouise.com. I wanted to share advice and recommendations on my favorite places to visit. My blog and social channels grew and I feel so lucky that this is my career today—it is truly a dream.
- Do you specialize in a specific kind of travel?
We both take the lens of being travelers from New England. We love sharing destinations that are convenient for people from this part of the United States in terms of driving and flying, as well as sharing the best time to make those far-flung trips across the world, but from the context of being New Englanders.
- What’s it been like to have been to all these incredible places with your sister by your side?
We love traveling together as we say in many of our Travel Babies Podcast episodes. When you find a good travel buddy keep them by your side because everyone has a different travel personality. And we both feel extremely lucky that we get to visit the amazing places that we do.
- You’ve recently launched a new podcast with your sister. What sort of things can new listeners expect on any given episode?
Our goal with each episode is to give our listeners insider tips and tricks to travel the world with style. We share travel stories, destination recommendations, and just lots of advice on mishaps to avoid, places you won’t want to miss, and more. And of course, there are plenty of laughs and just fun conversations between two sisters who love to travel.
- What is the best piece of travel advice you’ve ever been given?
Visit popular destinations in the shoulder or off-seasons. There is nothing we hate more than crowds ruining our trips, so we always go for popular destinations in the shoulder season if possible.
- When traveling to another country what’s the best way to get the most out of your travel experience?
Doing your research. We say this all the time: if you do your research you will have the best time.
- In this new era of travel, what precautions are you taking while visiting other countries?
Right now international travel is still quite difficult so again you just have to do your research. Find out what the COVID restrictions and requirements are wherever you are going, find out where you can get tested, and bring your mask!
- What is your favorite country that you’ve been to so far?
There are too many to choose from! But I know both of us would probably put France, Italy, and Japan at the top of the list.
- What’s been your favorite country to eat in and what’s a country whose cuisine pleasantly surprised you?
Again there are too many to choose from! Both of us are adventurous eaters so we love trying new things and experiencing cultures different from our own. But again we would probably put France, Italy, and Japan at the top of the list in terms of cuisines as well!
- What country/city would you say your travel dollars went the furthest?
I would say Cambodia and Juliana would say Colombia. Both countries are extremely affordable for Americans and there are some amazing luxury experiences available in both.
- What’s an underrated travel destination that doesn’t get talked about enough?
The most underrated destination that I have ever been to is the Abruzzo region of Italy. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been, it has delicious food, and a superb 3 Michelin Star restaurant called Reale. One of my favorite memories from Italy of all time, but totally underrated in terms of press coverage in the US.
- Where can our followers connect with you?
Follow our @TravelBabies Instagram account for all things Travel Babies so you never miss an episode as well our personal accounts for lots of travel inspiration @JQLouise & @TravelWithJuliana, as well as my blog JQLouise.com.