COVID-19 has got us missing trains, planes, and automobiles. We’re missing the open road, seeing new stamps in our passports, and meeting new people. We’re missing travel.
While self-isolation could go on for a while, we’re already thinking about where we’ll go and what we’ll do when international travel opens up again. Here’s a list of 20 things about traveling that we’ll never, ever take for granted again.
1. The Airport Beer
It’s never too early and you’re never alone.
2. Getting restaurant recommendations from the locals
If you see a line, get in it.
3. When you find a secret swimming hole
Don’t tell anyone. There’s nothing better than realizing it’s just yours for the day.
4. Getting an upgrade to business class
Getting upgraded to a pod might be better than anything we’ve ever experienced.
5. Collecting shot glasses, fridge magnets, and other silly trinkets everywhere we go
Or, if you’re like me, fridge magnets that double as bottle openers. It makes for a bit of hunting.
6. When you celebrate a milestone abroad
Anniversaries, birthdays, graduations – what better way to celebrate a milestone than with a trip?
7. Seeing a new animal in the wild for the first time
Bonus points if you’re on safari.
8. Setting foot in a beautiful place where you’re the only tourist
Sometimes you just know that a place is going to be overrun by tourists in 5-10 years. We’ve been saying it about Colombia for a few years now.
9. Doing an adventure activity that gets your blood pumping
Especially if it’s an adventure activity you know your mom wouldn’t support. Be sure to get it on video.
10. When a sunset, sunrise, or landscape view leaves you speechless
You’ll remember those moments.
11. Picking up a rental car and immediately getting lost in a new city
Even with Google Maps, it’s pretty damn hard to navigate a foreign country.
12. When the place you’ve wanted to visit forever is actually more stunning in person
There’s nothing like visiting your dream destination and having it exceed expectations.
13. Discovering a speakeasy
Password? We love Good Times at Davey Wayne’s in Los Angeles and Please Don’t Tell in NYC.
14. Taking trips with your BFF
Make sure you take every opportunity you get to travel with friends. You won’t always have free time at the same time.
15. When the local cup of coffee is out of this world
Vietnam is the best in our books. Or Cuba. Or Turkey.
16. Tasting the local cuisine, even if it’s a meal that’s out of your comfort zone
If it’s a local delicacy, and you’ve never seen it before – try it.
17. Traveling alone and finding out a bit more about yourself
It can seem daunting, but you’ll always come back with a new understanding.
A must for every vacation’s half-way point.
19. When you splurge on an expensive meal
When in Rome!
20. Learning about people and cultures, and bringing home a little perspective
Bring back what you’ve learned and use your experience to appreciate what you have.